Vanessa Braun is the Founder of Storyoga and the Director of Storyoga Preschool. Vanessa is a certified yoga instructor (RYT 200) and lives in North Saanich, BC.
Vanessa’s journey as an instructor began over eight years ago when she first started teaching in Early Childhood Education in Victoria, BC. She always knew she had a yearning to work with children, but it wasn’t until her studies at University that she discovered her love of yoga. After completing her ECE, Vanessa was offered a teaching position at Christianne’s Lyceum of Literature and Art. It was during this time that her love of engaging with children through picture books and the art of storytelling was born. After completing a children’s yoga training with Maalaa in 2008, Vanessa became passionately inspired to bring her love of literature and yoga together to create Storyoga. Vanessa has since done training with Grounded: Yoga, Elevation, Laughter, Rainbow Kids Yoga and continues to pursue her passion of working with children in deep and meaningful ways.
Through a unique blend of story and yoga, children are exposed to a wide spectrum of benefits to foster their physical, mental and emotional well-being. On the physical level, yoga develops strength, balance, coordination and overall body awareness. For the mind, Storyoga encourages focus and concentration while fostering imagination and creativity. And finally, embodying the spirit of yoga, Storyoga nurtures inner strength, self-esteem, and an overall love for oneself inside and out!
Yogarilla is an integral part of Storyoga and acts to represent a strong sense of family within the Storyoga brand. In his gorilla nature he is wise and kind, creative and caring, strong yet peaceful, and reminds us to tread softly on the earth. Yogarilla is a compassionate creature and is a nurturer at heart. His leadership reminds us to be the change we wish to see in the world and to always love the one we’re with. Yogarilla is divinely happy, playful, and free and honours the light in you and me.
What Kids are saying
- “Once upon a time there was a little girl named Mattea and she always liked to go to Storyoga. The little girl had so much fun at Storyoga that she even didn’t want to leave.” ~ Mattea, 4
- “She reads us stories and we colour. I love drawing inside the shapes – and about Vanessa, I love her!” ~ Darien, 4
- I like doing the downward dog and the pom – pom blessing. I like yoga because it is good for your body and we learn about nature.” ~ Lucas, 6
- “I like the stories Vanessa read to us, and I liked doing Namaste Mountain.” ~ Renee, 6
What Parents are saying
- “I heard about your classes and camps from several of the Sidney Preschool moms. I’ve talked to quite a few people about your classes at Strongstart, Preschool, and in Logan’s Kindergarten and I have never heard a bad thing. You should be really proud of the strong reputation you have built in your small community.” ~ Joscelyn, Sidney BC
- “Kaylee absolutely loves the class and you also. We have tried a few after-school things before and she has never been enthusiastic about them. With this yoga she comes home and can’t wait to show us what she is learning. Thanks for all the energy you put into it.” ~ Sarah Paulson, Sidney BC
What Teachers are saying
- “Hi Vanessa. Thanks so much for having me. I felt so comfortable… a sense of coming home or at least inspiration for the type of environment I want to be involved with. Out of all the centres I visited, yours was the most beautiful in so many ways, especially the vibration of peace.” ~ Yvonne MacKenzie, Pender Island BC
- “Vanessa’s interactive storytelling, wide use of colorful, playful props and the brilliant way in which she engages children in yoga poses was a hit with the children in our program! Thank you Vanessa for exposing our children to yoga in such a fun, positive way.” ~ Lori, Victoria BC